Monday, April 4, 2011

no running and ice it..................ahhhh!

March 28-April 2, 2011

I've been having some pain in my right leg since the week of the 14th and I'm not liking that it hasn't gone away as it's interfering with my running so I did the best thing I could and called my Chiropractor.  Luckily, he was able to see me the following day.  He wasn't happy with me and told me that's why we discussed preventive methods, however, my schedule got super busy (working 3 jobs) and I didn't reschedule followups.   Also, I was saving to buy my cat. converter for my car, which is being take care of this weekend!!!

Now that I've hurt myself I really have no choice, but to come in and willingly admit to my wrong in not coming in.  I came in and faced the consequences of being told no running or leg strength training for the next few weeks.  The muscle I over-strained is going to take about 4-6 weeks to heal since it's an everyday muscle and doesn't allow for much recovery time.  It's really hard not being able to run, but the better I do at following the rules the sooner I will be able to get back to running.  He also gave me other instructions and further restrictions like: no sauna, no treadmill with an incline, no stretching past my normal body movement since he knows I'm not going to stay away from the gym.  

I just don't like how I feel when I'm not working out, and I can't go that long without working out.  Working out keeps me focused and centered on my goals.  So far I'm being good and even logging in when I've iced my leg this week.  Luckily, I have a job where I can do that so once my ice pack froze around 9:30am Wednesday morning I started; 20 minutes on ice and 40 minutes off.  My boss, who is a nurse, informed me that I could take Ibuprofen to help with the swelling.  I followed this up until Friday.  I wasn't so good Saturday and Sunday icing or even taking ibuprofen. 

By Friday  my leg was feeling better and hopefully by Monday when I see my chiropractor again he will give me a little more freedom.  I just want to get back to running.  Running makes me feel like no other sport or activity has.  I feel like I can fly and more confident with every mile I add to my runs, creating in me a new hope that I can conquer my fears and build upon my dreams.  

Saturday and Sunday I stayed inside mostly.  Saturday my car spent most of the day in the shop getting ready for my inspection.  Luckily, I've been saving so I wasn't worried about the items that needed to be repaired.   It was pretty costly, just over a grand for the repairs, but I was anticipating at least that since I knew my catalytic converter was due to be replaced.  The issue with the other repairs was that they could go another 6 months if my inspection wasn't due this month.  So I went ahead and had him replace my left axle and brake pad so I could pass inspection.  I've been very blessed to find such a wonderful mechanic.  The shop was recommended by a friend my dad knows and I can see why,.  They have been very good to me during this time and haven't added any additional stress.  It's a total God thing, I know it , because He knew they would take care of me.  I will definitely go back without hesitation for any future repairs or maintenance.  

I was excited today to pick up the barstools my dad and I bought for my grandparents.  My dad and I headed out around noon and when we got back he wanted to assemble them tefore my grandparents came home from their errands.  It was almost a surprise until my grandpa decided to head out to the shed just before my dad was finished.  This is something I wanted to do for Christmas, but financially my dad and I weren't able to do it them, so it's a little late but well worth it.  It was a shock to my grandparents when I told them I wanted to do this for them and they keep telling me "you don't need to do this." but I really wanted to.  They spend a lot of time at the kitchen bar and the ones they have keep breaking.  I'm glad to see how well the new barstools work in the space.  They are smaller and are better suited with the decor.  I really loved seeing the expression of their faces when they saw them at the bar; priceless.  My grandparents loved them and were thrilled to no end to have them.  My grandpa even gave me a hug and said 'your my little angel.' 

Sometime around 3pm my dad dropped me off at the gym.  I decided to repeat my shoulders and biceps routine, since I'm not allowed to work my legs.  I just didn't want the day to pass and not get a workout in.  I don't like how I feel when I don't workout and I didn't feel like doing anything at home.  it worked out great, because while I was there I ran into one of the female trainers.  I chatted with her and another trainer about the hyperextensions and if I was performing them correctly.  I didn't know she had left the company and turns out my Sunday Crush also left.  I was glad to find out for sure, but I had a feeling they were no longer working there.  I"m also glad to hear that things are going well and she doesn't have to work as many hours.  
On my way out I saw Brian, who I hadn't seen in almost two months at least.  He ended up switching his work schedule and decided to come in later in the day.  It seems to be working better for him.  I'm glad, but bummed that I wont be seeing him in the morning as I always enjoy our chats.  I wanted to talk with him more, but my dad had been waiting a while in the parking log for me and we did need to go and pick up my car from the shop.

I had a lazy, but a slow-good productive day on Sunday and ended up organizing my recipes and workout files.  I had papers stacked in several piles with recipes, fitness articles, and some archives files that I've needed to take care of. and it felt good to put them away.  I still have a pile or two left, but most of it is done, which will make it easier to file future papers once I print out the labels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment